View Single Post
Old 16-07-04, 17:25
Old Sigs Type

Default Posting Images

The highest resolution that a computer monitor can display images is 72 pixels per inch (ppi). Viewing images at 72 ppi or 300 ppi will show absolutely no difference. However, there is a substantial difference in file size between the 2 resolutions.

Here's an example:

3" x 5" Image at 75 dpi with 24 bit colour = 248KB file size
Same image at 150 dpi with 24 bit colour = 989KB file size

dpi = dots per inch (same as ppi and mainly used when talking about printer resolution)

My suggestion is to scan photos for web viewing at 75 ppi with a maximum width of 500 pixels. This would make a very noticeable change in bandwidth usage and, help those with slower Internet connections. Anyone interested in a copy of the photo at higher resolution for printing (300 ppi) can request the original poster to e-mail them.

For your info, I've taken the liberty of dowloading a random sampling of photos posted on this forum and found various resolutions (72, 150, 240 and 300 ppi). Those with lower connection speeds (ie. 56 kbps) will definitely find problems downloading higher resolution photos, compared to those who have broadband (DSL/cable) connections.

For those who may have technical difficulties in converting photos to lower resolutions, I'm sure that there are enough people on this forum who will be more than happy to assist them (myself included).

I hope the above info/suggestions is of some use to all.