View Single Post
Old 22-02-21, 16:31
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D Teel II View Post
What does the wave meter for the 19 set look like? I see some on offer now and again and think I’d like to pick one up.
The usual one in British service during WW2 was the "Wavemeter, Class D, No.1" which was produced in a variety of case colours. This operates from 6 volts and could use a separate battery (the wooden-cased 6V 16AH accumulator) or be tapped across the wireless set battery using a pair of crocodile clips as necessary.

They were normally only issued to net control stations, as the other sets would be tuned to that signal.

It contains a dual-frequency crystal (1MHz and 100kHz) plus a variable frequency oscillator that allows the operator to set his frequency as required.

The original unit came in a wooden transit case that contained the headset and instruction manual, etc. Spare vibrator, valve, and dial lamps were fitted inside the unit. A later version was made in a 2-part metal case with rubber seal to protect it from damp when not in use.

Judging by the serial numbers, a very large number were made - 570467 has been noted.

Be careful when buying one: common modifications are to remove the vibrator and either build an AC supply into the unit, or run it from a 6.3 volt heater transformer for amateur radio use.

(They sometimes fetch extremely silly prices on various auction sites. I have no idea why.)

Chris.