View Single Post
Old 10-05-15, 15:37
Terry Warner

The Ottawa Police Service had Elgin Street closed for our procession of mostly Jeeps with vet's on board enroute to services at the National War Memorial. Eric did a good job shepherding the cats in the marshalling area and then on the road. The TV news (rightfully) concentrated on the marching troops and veterans, and the local paper had a great photo on an MB with uniformed WW2 reenactors.

Saturday the HMV crowd and reenactors formed up at Queen Juiliana Park as part of the Canadian Tulip Festival celebrations. The south end of the park was taken over for their encampment, marquis tents and wall tents, and wartime Allied and German vehicles. The central "half" of the park was the reenacting field. The north end was for the (sad face) post war vehicles. Nevertheless, my M151A2, an M38A1, the Iltis crowd from Trois Rivieres, and Mike Calnan's tan M35 truck were eye candy to entice more visitors. It is amazing how similar personalities gravitate to our hobby. I have a brother from a French Canadian family! Bienvenue Bill!

Gene tasked us a perimeter guards to direct pedestrians, dog walkers, moms and dads (and cranky people whose walking routines were being interrupted). We were relieved by some juice-monkey bodybuilder security guards who arrived before the scripted smoke, explosives and blanks. Mike gave an animated commentary for the reenacting, although even from a distance I heard a few historic exaggerations.

Many interested visitors and curious "car guys" passed through. I was late getting home for Mother's Day supper arrangements because a father and son were so interested in mine that I just couldn't abandon them. The son has a Jeep Commando and was immediately drawn to the military design elements that carried over to his vehicle.

I have family and house duties on Sunday

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!