View Single Post
Old 19-11-20, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Crombie View Post
Well, you work fast!

I haven’t heard of ultrasonic cleaning an entire frame before. That really did clean up nicely, although I suppose you still have to deal with any rust. I guess if it’s a good way to clean diamond jewelry, it should be fine for a Jeep!
Is this the first time that this has been down to the frame? It looked pretty good at the beginning, so I bet it’s going to be really nice when you’re done.
Out of curiosity, do you know what the issue was with the engine?

Cheers,
Rob
Yes I'll have to buff the rust away in places but the ultrasonic cleaning took off all but minimal traces of paint and all oil and grease is gone even inside the boxed part of the frame. I think this is the first time the tubs been off based on the condition of the body rubbers and fasteners. Realistically, the jeep is in great condition but needed some minor work aside from the motor to make sure it's good for another 50+ years. The engine is currently with Al Rice (who does work for Reg Hodgson) out of Fort Saskatchewan waiting for tear down. I have videos of it running and it's early diagnosis is piston slap on #1 cylinder. It ran great with no smoke so hopefully it will be an easy build. If anyone wants to hear the noise, text Pete at 1-780-815-3871 and I'll share the videos.

FYI, for anyone interested in this cleaning process, our area is heavy in oil & gas with lots of shell and tube heat exchangers in use with small diameter tubes that are hard to clean, 100's of them in some cases. This is their "small" tank 12'x5' and is always hot and on standby....that's why it was so cheap. The frame was cooked for 24 hours. I think a quick search around your area will find a similar unit that may be available to use......might not be cheap though? I'm thinking of dipping my whole M-100 trailer in it too when it comes time for a refurbishment on it. And the best part it's aluminum and rubber safe.
1951 PE-95K Gen Set
MVPA
Cdn Forces 1986-2006

Last edited by Peter Phillips; 19-11-20 at 17:54.