View Single Post
Old 26-09-16, 02:33
GM Fox I

Truly an adventure only those around here could fully appreciate!!

And no blood!! A good day indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
As I mentioned previously, a 10 ton porta power did not move the barrel back into recoil. So I brought home the big guns: 25 ton porta power cylinder. I went and picked up some gr70 transport chains as well which only have a safe working load of 6000 pounds or so, have a breaking strength of over 26000 pounds. So between the two of them, I figured it should hold the energy behind the 50000 pounds of hydraulic force.

Igot it all set up, and after pumping the enerpac for a bit, had the chains tight as a scottsman's wallet. I was sure the chains were going to give, but I decided to go for broke. The pump had to have been close to relief. Suddenly a big bang. I looked for the broken link, but to my surprise, the recoil had jumped two inches. So I pumped some more, and it jumped again. It never did get easy though. It made me fight right to the last inch. I got it back to where it belongs today. Normally I woudl weld a gun like this into battery, but I'm pretty sure I won't need to on this one.