View Single Post
Old 24-01-16, 19:32

Default Cdn gpw

Hello Johan

I will be able to answer some of those questions.

1- The GPW's we bought would have had the USA numbers painted on them as my understanding is that they were painted on at the factory.

They would have been painted over once Canada bought them. Those shipped overseas would have had the War Department number starting with a CM assigned to them once they were assigned to a Unit.

2- Sometimes one headlight was removed or the bridge plate was just placed over the headlight. The other bulb was not always replaced by the earlier blackout bulb, especially later in the war.

3- Fire Extinguisher was usually the US one as it was suppose to come with the vehicle. However it was replaced with the CDN/British one if it was not included.

4- First aid kits were not part of the contract but some brackets might have been left on some of the used vehicles.

- We generally did not mount a decontamination kit on the Jeep. They were not a general issue item.

The Overflow Kit was not acquired by Canada and i have not seen any period photos with one attached. I have seen them with the holes drilled, which means they were most likely removed before delivery to Canada.

The modern Canadian flag on rear bumperette would not have been used nor the RCAF Roundel on the Overflow Kit. The Roundel was used only by the RCAF and units in Italy.

GPW's would have been left in the US Khaki paint, if repainted near the end of the war some ended up semi gloss.

The later issue vehicles did not generally have the US star, (To much of a target) the circle was not commonly applied on CDN vehicles.

I hope this helps

If you provide me the Serial number i can see if it is in my data base.

Thanks

Eric