View Single Post
Old 11-02-09, 00:51
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: 2 ASSU

Simon;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Burgess View Post
As you may have worked out if you have browsed around the Trux site, What is shown is the theoretical organisation based on War Establishment documents. Actual practice often differed (e.g. as more or better vehicles/equipment became available).
The Trux site states that War Establishment for an Air Support Signals Unit (in this case for 2 ASSU) was W.E. III/285/1, the theoretical organisation of which is posted on their site. As Noel as pointed out: "Actual practice often differed (e.g. as more or better vehicles/equipment became available)."

To give you an example of how a 'theoretical organisation' of a War Establishment, or the War Establishment itself could change/be changed, as more or better vehicles/equipment became available, or procedures were improved on, below are the Canadian War Establishments that were issued starting with the authorization of:

Serial 476 - First Canadian Air Support Control Signal Section, R.C.C.S. - effective 24 December 1941 - for which ‘A Canadian Air Support Control Signals’ - Cdn. III/1940/226/1 - effective 1 December 1941 was issued. This was followed by the issue of ‘A Canadian Air Support Control Signals’ - Cdn. III/1940/226/1 - Amendment No. 1 - effective 1 June 1942.

With the conversion and redesignation of Serial 476 - First Canadian Air Support Control Signal Section, R.C.C.S. to that of Serial 476 - First Canadian Air Support Signal Unit, R.C. Sigs - effective 14 January 1944 (and subsequent redesignation to that of 1st Canadian Air Support Signal Unit, R.C. Sigs - effective 15 June 1944) - ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - effective 11 January 1944 was issued. This was followed by the issue of:

- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - Amendment No. 2 - effective 8 April 1944
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - Amendment No. 8 - effective 15 May 1944
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - Amendment No. 9 - effective 15 June 1944
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - Amendment No. 10 - effective 5 July 1944
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - Amendment No. 11 - effective 19 October 1944
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - Amendment No. 12 - effective 3 November 1944
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/1 - Amendment No. 13 - effective 11 January 1944

Effective 10 January 1945 - ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/2 to supercede Cdn. III/285/1 was issued. This was followed by the issue of:

- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/2 - Amendment No. 1 - effective 10 January 1945
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/2 - Amendment No. 2 - effective 18 April 1945
- ‘An Air Support Signal Unit, R.C.C.S.’ - Cdn. III/285/2 - Amendment No. 3 - effective 11 June 1945

As you can see from the above, the War Establishment of ‘An Air Support Signal Unit’ (in this insist that of 1 Cdn ASSU) was constantly changing as the war went on.

In regards to your:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I don't suppose you have the same info for 2nd British ASSU????
No, I’m sorry I do not have that information at hand, but I would imagine that the employment of 2 ASSU within the Second British Army would be the same as for that of 1 Cdn ASSU within First Canadian Army, as I pointed out under "Brief description of the duties/employment ...” in my earlier post. I can however, point you to these files held at The National Archives, Kew:

- 'Report on the employment of the Army Air Support Signal Unit (21 Army Group)' - WO 244/91
- 'Army air support: signal units, organisation of personnel and equipment' - WO 205/555
- 'Standing orders for Air Support Signal Unit operation: hints on weather observation and reports' - WO 205/562

which should provide some information on 2 ASSU and on a related note, a copy of the War Diaries for 1 Cdn ASSU are held at The National Archives, Kew:

War Diary of 1 Cdn ASSU - Feb to Dec 1944 - WO 179/3224
War Diary of 1 Cdn ASSU - Jan to Jun 1945 - WO 179/4731

I hope this may be of some help to you.

Cheers