View Single Post
Old 14-02-12, 22:53
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
does look like a T... however where is the can now ? seems unlikely that a flimsy can would make it back from Aussie service in North Africa to say the UK after all this time.

EDIT: also i had not realised that they would even number the tin for a carrier.... i always thought that they would have a pile of fuel cans which you would grab at a fuel cache leaving your empties as you went ?
I'm pretty sure back then it would have been somewhat like it is today. A driver who looked after his vehicle and EIS would stencil everything, right up to the different pieces of the canvas enclosure, to try and disuade inter vehicle theft. I can assure you, there was nothing like needing your can of fuel, then finding that someone had swapped cans with you and it was now empty.

When I ran the stores section for the maint section at my last unit, I even branded the mechanics creepers,brooms, squegees and drain pans, otherwise by Monday morning they were all gone; either to the other batteries, or else homes. It got so bad one of the sections would have to remove the bulbs from their trouble lamps on Fridays and put them back in on Mondays....there were guys too thrifty to buy their own 50¢ lightbulbs.

As to the travel of artifacts between continents, in the last 50 years the world has got awful small. And with Ebay, nothing is too far out of reach.....in fact it's as close as your keyboard.