View Single Post
Old 22-12-15, 16:19

Default Canadian contract jeeps

All.
After 30 years of restoration and collecting artefacts related to the CDLV 242, I could indicate that I do not own any certitude. This was war, everything was in a hurry. Period pictures, national archives do indicate inconsistencies.

In addition to the similitudes to the USMC MB`s, listed on the parts manual. This is noted, the frame does have the holes in the front arms (mostlikely the 242 were built consecutively after the USMC`s). Holes to receive the front hooks but left empty.

This is amaizing to locate some 242 survivers in Europe but more luckily to locate severals in Canada. Some for an unknowned reasons came back and were sold to civilaians as crown asset. I do base this statement after analised some fine exemples. Brian Cox, Mc Mullin family and my 118768. All of them have remains of oversea modification. Obviously, the holes on the dash, left side to receive the axle-stop light switches and data plate. Hole in the lower section of the frame rear cross member (right side) to accomodate the rear axle lamp.

This is to note, McMullins family do own wat I consider to be the oldest CDLV 242....just few didgit before mine. Is someone could validate an older one?

Another point of interest is the original census number that resurfaced on 118768 rear panel...unit has been identified CM 4231089 in large letters/numbers. This is also obvious, another row of numbers were applied but not clear enough for conclusion. So unit has been identified twice.

Several census number sequences noted on archives, CM116xxx, CM423xxx, CM55xxxx