View Single Post
Old 30-05-18, 07:55

Default 2 gallon water cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Rob , all white water cans I have seen all bear earlier date marks than the Grey cans. I think the white was too conspicuous to be used on the battlefield and was changed somewhere in 44 to Gray.. but still not Green as to differentiate them from POL . Humble suggestion also.
To add to this, I picked up a water can (albeit a British one) a few weeks ago, stamped 'VALOR 3 40' (March 1940?) on the underneath. After removing the multitude of paint layers, I find it is black, with 'WATER' stencilled in white. I find to trace that the can was ever painted white. Of course, the paint could have been stripped before repainting.

From a point of history, here's a photo (July '44, in Normandy) of the white cans in action behind a Bedford MWC. Were the white cans retained for use away from the front lines? And note the black jerrycans too. And still on the subject of water cans, how would the troops in the field know if the water in the cans was safe to drink? I've never seen a 2 gallon can marked 'drinking water'.

Just my thoughts..

Owen.
Attached Thumbnails
MWC 07-1944.jpg  
1936 Opel Olympia
MVPA # 39159
MVT # 19406