View Single Post
Old 28-12-13, 02:58
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Hi all,

I have been talking to one of my colleagues who is currently in Honiara. He is going to photograph the carrier in question.

This is what I’ve given him from the previous posts. He is not a military vehicle person though and I so I doctored a few photographs as well with a few arrows on where to look which I thought might help him.

I am not real familiar with NZ carriers. Mine is an aussie one and I am aware there are some differences. Can the NZ carrier experts please check this out and see if I am pointing him in the right direction?

• Inside the hull especially on the rear upper plate – the hull number is often stamped in the bulkhead above the rear differential
  • front top of the right hand towing eye(looking for a number like 1210)
  • left hand side of the towing eye top. Sometimes the " T " number is on the Left hand side towing eye top
  • Middle towing eye. There is a number here usually stamped near its upper edge. If no centre eye, then check the top edge of the two lifting eyes.
  • The ammo box mounts (weld marks) on the right front guard (looking from the front)

Hi Darryl,

The arrow in the first photo is pointing to the back plate. This is wrong, it should be pointing to the angle-iron immediately above the diff mounting bolts immediately behind the coupling, where the brake pipe is. This piece is never cut out of the back plate in any cut down carrier as it serves to help locate the diff assembly. The details for all Australian carriers are stamped on the top of the horizontal section of the angle-iron and generally a good sand down will reveal the maker, type of carrier and the carrier number. I don't know about the NZ or British carriers.

Good Luck & all the best for the festive season.

Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 28-12-13 at 08:23. Reason: Formatting