View Single Post
Old 12-11-13, 19:20
Darryl

Default Carriers in US Service

Hi all,

Here are a few more pictures of the Honiara carrier. They are not great I'm afraid.

Lynn-I'm fairly sure all the aussie carriers have the data plate on the right front guard as well. Mine certainly does and it is a Metropolitan Gas Works manufactured one. Perhaps some of the other aussie carrier owners can confirm.

At the time I thought the NZ carriers had the data plate in the same place and I figured this might have been one reason why the guard on the Honiara carrier was gone.

While in Honiara I spoke to an ex-pat aussie living there who had set up a museum of sorts with all sorts of artifacts he had recovered from the jungle with the help of the locals. They included a Willys jeep, M2A1 Stuart tank complete with a 37mm hole in the hull when it was knocked out, (the very early one), Japanese field guns and anti tank guns, Zero engines, Japanese MG's and all sorts of other battlefield pickups.

He said he had located another carrier in the jungle that he hoped to pull out at some stage. He hinted that logistically it was a bit difficult to get to though. I was amazed at what is still being found there with a steady stream of local people coming into see him with battlefield pickups that he was paying them for.

If anyone is interested I could post the pictures on a seperate thread.

I can't seem to reduce the size of the last picture so if it is too big let me know and I'll delete it!

http://imageshack.us/a/img32/5638/bcy.JPG

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 12-11-13 at 21:01. Reason: formatting