View Single Post
Old 03-09-12, 17:24

Default Installing the bearing

I'd follow the manual on how to instal and set up the shims if needed. Get the one stuck screw out before you go forward because if you have pull the bearing again you don't want to get it wedged.

Now that you have the bearing out can you take another picture of the hub and the old bearing so we can better understand what happened.

The outer bearing on all of my Chevs are tapered roller which means that all you are installing is the race, assume that is the same on yours.

When possible I use a bearing press to push bearings in or on, being very sure that it goes in straight. If I have to tap it in again I try and use a round flat pushing tool. One of my CCKW friends always saves the race of the bearing he is replacing he chucks this up in the lath and with a grinder takes just enough off the diameter so that it is a drop fit into the housing. He uses that as his push tool to put the new bearing in. Neat trick that I have now adopted, got a drawer of old bearing races.

One last point try to avoid, for obviously reasons, tapping or driving steel on steel with a hammer, I use wood blocks like oak or some other hardwood to keep from chipping your new part or the machined surfaces around it.

Glad the air chisel drift idea work for you.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com