Thread: Laundry
View Single Post
Old 10-03-06, 07:56
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Ubique

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hi Derek,

I OFTEN wonder if there are sites or foums online in which the stories of these Hitlerjugend are told ... for instance, talk of the executions of the Canadian soldiers. All of the Hitlerjugend survivors of the war can't have held their tongues forever about their activities or what they saw or heard. Many are probably still alive, being still quite youngish teenagers at the time.

I almost wish I could read German because I assume if stories were shared they'd be in German language

By the way ... great poem

Karmen
There are lots of stories of the atrocities committed by the Germans in general and the SS in particular, though it seems few are written by the perpetrators! We've all heard of the cold blooded murder of members of the Regina Rifles at L'Abbe d'Ardennes in Normandy and of the American soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge but it appears after reading Hubert Meyer's book that we were not entirely innocent either. Herr Meyer's book lists many instances reported by witnesses where Germans trying to surrender were summarily executed by their captors, although the time line suggests that such actions such were in response to German atrocities. There were also reports of Allied fighter-bombers strafing and rocketing German field hospitals and ambulances in Hubert Meyer's book. However, it can be said that the scale of German atrocities in WW II will hopefully never again be matched.
Thank you for the comments re: the poem. It was written by a Corporal of the Royal Canadian Engineers in 1942 and is one of my favourites.

CHIMO!