Thread: Levy Auto Parts
View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 18:49
Brian Asbury

David: Bob P. is quite right that Levy's was primarily a automotive parts supplier. Rumours of all sorts revolve around Levy's so one has to be careful; many I believe are fanciful hearsay. That said, a former senior Levy manager told me that as a young employee one of his tasks in the early 1950's was to source #19 Sets for re-sale to Pakistan. He travelled as far as BC to buy surplus #19 Sets from surplus dealers. Many sets were acquired in Montreal as DND surplus. Access to Levy's was a rare opportunity but a friend of mine relates that in mid-late 1970's he was in a building that had a large quantity of #19 Sets. He bought a MkII set for $10. In another building was a tri-wall full of new MkIII manuals of which he only was able to get a few. It is likely that these items were lost in a building fire in the late 1970's.
Finally, very little radio gear showed up during my extensive prowling of the storage bays in the mid-to-late 1980's: not much except a few #19 set control boxes and a few power cables.