Thread: Wanted: POW can GSW 1945 only
View Single Post
Old 26-12-20, 04:37

Default The good old days.....

.....circa 1954 my Dad would buy Naphta (white gas) for camping.... one burner stove army surplus and a Coleman lantern that were rebuilt using truck loads of loose parts from Palmer junkyard in beautiful downtown Hull.

Naptha was purchased at Romanuck general store ( Polish Immigrants) for about 0.25 cents a gallon for 0.60 cents he included a new POL can which has survived to this day...... I do not dare clean it up of all the paint splatters on the sides and prefer paying the current price for my collection. A few years later my Dad would let me clean up grease deposits/residue from the inside of B/W TV sets he was servicing.......... greasy spoon restaurants usually had the TV set on a shelf near the ceiling above the cooking grill...... they would get so covered with grease the mechanical contacts and other switches in the tuner would not work. Naptha and an old stiff paint brush did wonders..... also took care of the cockroaches......... later graduated to Carbon Tet from surplus fire extinguishers.... it would dry up and crack your skin.... it is a wonder I still have lungs!!!!!

..and we think Covid is bad!!!!!!!!
Canada