View Single Post
Old 18-10-13, 03:40

Jack,

Like Ian's WOT2H, I suggest this is another vehicle ex-Middle East, rather than one of the batch of new-ish vehicles (WOT2D?) that arrived in Aust as refugee cargo (and given Aust registrations).

There is plenty of evidence to support the importation of an unknown number (but probably quite small) of WOTs and other pommie vehicles to Australia as part of the equipment of the returning AIF units. The Scout Mk.1 carrier that has been the subject of another thread probably falls into this category. Many retained their Brit War Office registrations and were not transferred to the Australian registration system.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that my impression is that these mostly arrived in the first half of 1942 with the early returning units of the AIF from the Middle East. Units delayed in Ceylon mostly left their vehicles in ordnance vehicle parks there if the embarkation orders are to be believed. Units that remained in the ME theatre (elements of 1 Corps, 9 Aust Inf Div) were re-equipped in mid to late 1942 with more modern vehicles such as CMPs. These units did not return to Aust until late 42/early 43, so I think it unlikely that they would have retained such things as WOTs when all wheel drive CMPs were in the offing. Much conjecture here, of course, so others, please feel free to chime in and voice an opinion!

Mike C