View Single Post
Old 14-11-12, 13:09
aut viam inveniam aut fac

I would guess you are correct in this case Chris, and indeed perhaps when it comes to "museum" military vehicles, probably in most cases.

Attention to detail is probably not a high priority, more simply a case of a "representation" of the vehicle in most cases..to give an unknowing public a general idea or impression, which may in fact be a very reasonable option, if the choice is between having a "representation" on display rather than having an item in the back room out of sight for years while waiting for an accurate restoration.

Other than jeeps (popular) we all know the difficulties of sourcing parts, most of which have been out of production for decades or longer. I dont think most museums have the time or money to "restore" the vehicles.

I find it interesting, the estimated value of the C60- especially one not seemingly very accurate. If I had rec'd anywhere near that amount for my C60 which was complete, accurate (albeit with the more useful 235 engine) and a rare winch equipped model, i would have been very very happy.

I wish them luck, and perhaps some of these vehicles will end up in the hands of people who will do them justice, but as others have suggested I-( not having deep pockets at all) would not bid until a very thorough personal onsite inspection, and it also sounds just a teeny bit off, in that they seem to prefer you to leave the vehicles there.

I hope we'll hear the results of the auction.