View Single Post
Old 29-12-13, 18:14
carrier mech

Yo are so very right Frank.

The mil-spec prestolite wire on the M-series vehicles is some of the best wire that money can buy. But I recall back in the 80s that the 30 year old wiring was starting to short, especially at the connectors on the front fenders. The metal shells would actually get energized through a break in the insulation and cause the circuit breakers to start popping.

I re-did the M37 at the Shilo museum last year for the same reason. After 50 years, the wiring was really getting bad. It started out with a simple gauge replacement to remove the radium gauges with non-luminescent copies. But once I was under the dash, it was inevitable.

I was able to do it by ordering just the main under dash harness from John Bizal at midwest military. He has some NOS surplus ones for under $200. The rubber was still fresh and pliable. I added the extra wires needed for the Cdn Dodge....things like the convoy light and the turn signals. Since the DND still uses that same wire and the connectors, I was able to make up the harnesses for the front corners and the harness to the rear including the trailer receptacle. But it was a lot of work, soldering and crimping all those connectors. If your time is worth anything, you may just want to buy the whole harness. If you have to buy the wire and connectors, it will end up just about coming out to the same amount anyway. Just those little rubber insulators are 50¢ each these days.

I would not recommend using the modern day plastic coated wire. The insulation on it will crack after a decade, and besides that, it just isn't right. The mil-spec wire can be ordered in bulk at a reasonable price....at a minimum go the distance and use that.

Last edited by rob love; 29-12-13 at 18:24.