View Single Post
Old 31-03-12, 02:35
carrier mech

Mechanical bore cleaning machines? If the artillery adopted those, then there would be very little left for a gunner to do in 10 months a year that they aren't in the field. I know what you mean about the effort required to pull a brush through a bore. Not personally mind you, but I watched it done many times. Come to think of it, I have pulled the bofors barrel on my own, but the difference between 40mm and 105 mm is quite fair.

I did ask one of the guys who has been around for some 25 years, and he has not seen them before.

I am pretty sure these have been around for quite a while. The part of the yard I found the first batch of them in dates back to the 70s and 80s. There are quite a number of them between the two yards which almost makes me doubt 106 recoiless. There were only 6 or 8 of them in Winnipeg.....hardly justifies this quantity of brushes.

I took one apart tonight and there are absolutely no markings anywhere on them. I guess they will remain a mystery for now. Can any of the black hatters tell if these are leo?

Here is a quick shot of some of my other finds that weekend. The Canadian style telescope storage box was the best find of the day. I already had a US one, so the lid from this one has been removed from the damaged box and will be riveted onto the other case.