Thread: latest photo
View Single Post
Old 16-02-10, 14:29

Default Alex is right add a ground

Hi All

The point of needing good "grounds" "earths" is very important with any voltage, I have 3 CMPs all with 6 volt system and normally they all start well with the 6 volt systems. BUT as Alex says you can not under state the need for good grounds between the engine and the frame is very important. Some of my Chevy CMPs had a woven ground strap between the engine and frame, one had no evidence of one. Without the ground strap you are dependent on a connection through the drive train not good, front engine mount rubber, rear engine mounts steel to steel but not necessarily good particularly if all the parts are well painted. If your truck doesn't have a good earth/ground strap take Alex's tip add a length of welding cable from the bell housing to the frame. I ran mine from the housing over to the same bolt that connects the battery ground strap to the frame.

Starting problems from poor grounding increase if the engine is bigger or has increased compression. For example my C60S has a 261 cubic inch engine and starts just fine 95 times out of 100 with the six volt battery. The other 5 times were a problem, solution as the truck is equipped with a 12 volt battery to power radio equipment which hidden behind the 6 volt. I installed a marine battery switch which allows me to connect just the starter to the 12 volt, result instant start with out changing any of the other wiring on the truck.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com