Thread: latest photo
View Single Post
Old 16-02-10, 14:01
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Grounds..(Earths)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hughes View Post
Thanks for your kind remarks guys,Yes Terry it did have a Korean war cab but i wanted a 42 style cab,the back panels were replaced and some repairs done to the roof.
I would do it differently now though as the info 10 yrs ago was limited owing to not having a computer,and i have learned a lot since then working on other peoples 13 cabs.
the wiring system is still 6v with all the correct sizing of wire in place with modern fuses and all put into modern plastic ribbed sleaving ,i know this is not original but i am looking for durability for the system ,why 6v you may ask, well after having starting problems some time ago Alex Blair suggested i put an earth from the battery earthing point to the bell housing/starter area and the result was that it started like it was on 12v,and 12v generators for the v8 are thin on the ground here, but 6v are still obtainable at swat meets etc
Hi Ken..
The truck looks great and I'm glad my little tip helped with your starting problem..On six volt systems ,grounding is 90% of starting and rough running ,missing and all sorts of dim lighting and funny crap that goes on in electrical systems..and radio systems..
Just an example that someone figured out long ago is wireless radio military vehicle grounding..there are ground straps from every nut and bolt practically to every other nut and bolt and body part..
Some times when we do restorations we forget the importance of these grounds and leave them off or forget to replace them..even if we are not doing a lot of radio transmission and receiving..
But our electrical systems in the truck itself depends on it..Can't have too many ground straps on a 6 Volt system..Another thing I used to do was use welder's cable for heavy duty cables like starter and battery cables..they carry the amperage and voltage much better as they are braided with very flexible copper wire..
Makes all the difference in the electrical system..
Braided ground strap is great to use too.
Glad things worked out well for you..
My mom always thought I was wasting my time and that I should have been studying when I was working on my old flat head Fords..
I guess it was an education of the fun kind..
Always stood me in good stead..