Thread: Theft
View Single Post
Old 07-02-12, 16:56
3RD ECHELON WKSP

As a slight aside to this subject, is that of "theft" of items whereby a deal is pending, if not struck...
Unfortunately, many time, mvs etc are purchased from farmers and landowners. What they understand is dollars, nothing more, nothing less.
I personaly have found items that I was interested in or made a deal on and happened to mentioned to a fellow collector what I found. Turns out when I go to retrieve said item, it is gone. Seems another fellow showed up ahead of me, cash in hand and away it went. I guess in today's day and age a deal is not necessarily a deal and a handshake means nothing.
I even had 2 vehicles pilfered of their CES kit at government auction after my vehicles were bought and paid for! This is in a supposed secure facility. In that case, I had to arrange transport for said vehicles which did not happen until the next day. In hindsight, I would have waited for the auction to end and stripped the vehicles of the kit before I left...
Rule number one. DO NOT TRUST YOUR FELLOW COLLECTORS.
I have seen and/or heard of far too many stories like this, including the names of some of the larger and more well knowm, supposedly respected collectors in the mv community.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers