View Single Post
Old 22-10-21, 19:26

Default Microphone and Receivers, Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10 ZA/CAN 1570

It certainly is easy with large projects like this to lose track of what you have actually accomplished. There is a tendency to fixate on the things that still need to be done.

I have decided to step away from the major components for a while, for several reasons, not the least of which is to clear my head a bit and deal with something entirely different. Towards that end, I am going to tackle restoration of one of the Microphone and Receivers Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10 that I have for the set, One is complete and in very good shape, though yet untested. The second one is all there, also untested, but has issues, so I shall tackle it first.

The Illustrated Parts List for the Wireless Set No. 52 is helpful in that it shows the major pieces for the Canadian Headgear Type 10 and provides good written descriptions of them, but that is as far as it goes.

On the bright side, however, the FZ 256 Illustrated Parts List for the Wireless Set Cdn No. 19 Mk III and Ancillary Equipment, has very detailed exploded view illustrations of all the parts of the Canadian Headgear Type 10 covering virtually all of the little bits and pieces. You can see clearly where everything goes, and even better, all the hardware is shown, with relevant descriptions and part numbers.

The four photos posted today show the complete headgear assembly that requires restoration, and the three reasons why.

The first major problem is that somebody cut the leads off one receiver assembly for some reason. There is no sign the setscrews on the receiver have been touched, which is odd. These receivers were used in a variety of headgear throughout the war. In most instances, the leads would have a small brass ring terminal stapled to the end. The staples cut into the covering and insulation of the lead and connect with the central copper core of the lead. The two small screws on the back of the receiver would be removed and the ring terminals fitted over the screw and everything reattached. With the Type 10 Headgear, the end terminals on the leads are just brass staple sleeves about ¼-inch long. These are then slid into holes in the receiver below the two brass screws. The screws are simply backed off enough to allow the end terminals of the leads to slip all the way into the holes and then the screws tightened down as grub screws.

The second problem is the typical massive coat of NATO Green paint brushed on the microphone and which is badly chipped. That needs to be dealt with somehow.

The last issue I am currently aware of is the state of the heavy-duty oilcloth neckband cover. Years of exposure to Brylcreme and being rubbed between the back of a Wireless Operator’s neck and Battle Blouse have worn the cover down to its cloth core.

So let the games begin.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10  ZA:CAN 1570 1.JPG   Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10  ZA:CAN 1570 2.JPG   Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10  ZA:CAN 1570 3.JPG   Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10  ZA:CAN 1570 4.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 23-10-21 at 02:35.