View Single Post
Old 06-05-07, 23:37
former Resident Historian

Default Arch bar

I apologise if this is of no use, as I am no expert as you know. I remembered some information from the DND papers relating to the early 1940 # 11 Cabs:

Quote:
..A letter sent on May 8th 1940 to “Mr. C.S. Finkle, Canadian Mechanization Depot, General Motors Building, Southampton, England” by J.A. Lane, Export Manager at G.M. of Canada, Oshawa said that they had experienced a few assembly problems with the first run of 15 cwt. vehicles, model “84-21". He wished to draw attention to these with a view to assisting Finkle “in your initial production”. Variations in the Arch Bar resulted in misalignment of the front fender and fender support holes. The source of Windshield and Roof Panel Header Strips had made a mistake in drilling outer holes, cab spot welding as received from source was not acceptable, and required re-welding in the plant, and there was an increase in production of the clearance between the brake pedal shaft and bushing.

He also confirmed that on the first 143 Model 84-20 8 cwt. S.K.D., the holes for the Floor Plate in the Frame Side Rails were drilled one inch too far forward, and they were going to send a jig to enable the holes to be properly located
As I said I am sorry if this is of no relevance but I thought that it does illustrate that there were variations in standards in the early days, and parts had to be made to fit. I am pretty certain that GM of C were building cabs up from Ford-supplied panels at the time and in return GM supplied axles and transfer cases. However it all proved horribly complicated expecially for the exported vehicles so the respective companies produced their own cabs, and as we know Ford obtained their own cases and axles, and CKD was dropped in favour of SKD.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 06-05-07 at 23:42.