View Single Post
Old 08-06-07, 05:58

Default Lieutenant JRD Cave

Hello all!

I'm so glad I found this forum and also Cheryl's short history of the 23rd Field Rgt on Wikipedia. Well done!

I am researching my Uncle Doug's combat service in Europe. Lieutenant JRD Cave served went over to France and served August-October with the 31st battery then went over to the 83rd battery end October through December, then, not so sure as all letters had the return address called "Same address".

My Uncle died in 1974, age 65. He was 36 during 1944-early 1945. At various times in Europe, I believe he served as a Quarter master.

I am very interested in talking/writing to a few of the veterans who may have served with my Uncle. While you may not have remembered him, certainly you would recall some of the campaigns and battles in which you would have fought together.

My uncle died before I had a chance to appreciate all that he and his comrades achieved. My father told us a lot about his wartime efforts (WW II, Lancaster pilot in Bomber Command). I have records of all his achievements (though not the service record) and have read many books on the campaign by Bomber Command and the Canadian effort with the Command. However, I must confess that I am far less informed about the ground war in western Europe.

When my Aunt died 15 years after my uncle, unfortunately, the executors did not respect his wishes and much of his records were lost from the family. I do have his letter to his wife, but because of censorship, these are often vague. Therefore, if I have questions, would it be okay if I direct them to some in this group?

Sincerly! Jim Cave

Last edited by JDCAVE; 08-06-07 at 06:23.