View Single Post
Old 27-11-06, 07:51
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Give me an English translation and I'll also sign your petition.
Kees Huyser provided a partial translation of the petition:
Quote:
"To the National War and Resistance Museum Overloon

We have heard that the museum has sold one its objects, a 7th Armoured Division Sherman tank, to Italy where the tank is now a war monument.

We, the undersigned, have a problem with this decision. This tank is an original relic of WW2, a part of our history which has changed our world and society more than any other event. This vehicle is one of the reasons the museum exists. The tank was taken out of action in the direct vicinity of Overloon and, like other remnants of the Overloon Battle, used to found the original museum. It was actually one of the first exhibits of the museum.

That this tank has now been shipped to Italy to function as a monument to the Canadians which fought there saddens us. We have the utmost respect for those who have fought for our freedom and for that of other peoples and wholeheartedly agree that the people to whom this monument is dedicated totally deserve it, but believe the decision the sell this tank is wrong for the following reasons:

This particular Sherman is for us a direct, tangible link with the history of our country, the people who fought for our freedom and the Overloon Battle in particular. Therefore a lot has been taken away from us.
What makes this decision even more painfull is the fact that this particular type of Sherman is not representative for the tanks which the Canadian Forces used in Italy. A competely different type of Sherman was used there. As conservators of a museum which focusses on tanks and armoured vehicles you ought to realise a part of Dutch history is wasted on the erection of a erronous monument in another country.

We see your task as guardians of Dutch history and are very disappointed with your decision.
We hope you will be able to revert the situation."

I call on all G104 members to sign this petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/sherman1/petition.html