View Single Post
Old 09-05-09, 04:09

Default Metal prep.....

Hi Phil.....

1. I wouldn't run out and buy the timer unit. Think the problem is not lack of auto timer. Half the time I do the welds almost by ear and eye. Sound of welder changes as metal heats.***How long do you leave the power on...?
2. Try some sample welds after cleaning all four sides of the metal and post some pictures (or e-mail them to me)....that maybe my problem...I used scrap metal with some surface rust bloom......
3. Do you have a AC volt meter that one of the guys could read the voltage of the 220 voltage going to the welder. I had problems with mine when I built the barn as it was fed from the house to garage to barn to much line drop. While your at it check both legs of the power panel. I have to turn off the halogen shop lights when I'm weld sheet metal to angle iron with the spot welder.....I have a 200 amp service dedicated to the barn as a seperate service.......
4. Can not over empathizes need to clean/polish the steel........ will do new samples with new clean steel....
5. I've made up some sample combination sheet metal thicknesses to put between the tips when setting the tip pressure. On them I've written the weld time and heat setting......Good suggestions....
6. Just as with any other type of welding when you have not done it for awhile you have to practice, I have to force myself to practice until I get good again time.
7. The manual is correct about shape and size of tip contact area being important.....I have new tios and spare tips.... how often do you redress..as in how many cycles/spot welds between dressing
8. Holding the pinch pressure until the metal is no longer red hot is also important and a problem that I had trouble with until I remembered that you have to hold the pressure after releasing the trigger. Some thing like a three count should do it. .....never had to do that..... I barely cycle the switch on for a fraction of a second and it burn a hole and throws sparks all over... the metal prep may be my single biggest problem

Will cut some new strips in new clean metal....degrease.... various gauges primarily 18 G and 14 G at this time...

Stay tuned...

Bob
Canada