View Single Post
Old 04-08-05, 21:52

Default Re: Re: Identification of a Bedford truck

Quote:
Originally posted by rmk

I've located the engine number now - RL3/40911.

Also, they mentioned that they had liners for the engine.

Lastly, we have to replace the front and rear wheel brake cylinders - apart from a suitable jack, would any special tools be required for this job, ie removing the pull-off springs from the brake shoes?

Any hints or tips, etc would be gratefully received.
Russell,

Casting my mind back over 20 years, I remember the early engines had long through head studs, copper coated as they went through the water gallery. The head nuts on this type were cap type and thread size was I think, 1/2". You can identify from outside by these nuts which although looking like a bolt head, are deeper. This engine also had loose fitting liners which would lift if head was removed and crank turned. Next type was fitted with 9/16" studs and nuts. Last one that I remember was 5/8" studs, I am sure yours is not that late, I think it may be the middle one.

Try contacting Ditton Service Station near Maidstone. Dealt in Bedfords for years and still a supplier of parts. A good contact there, used to be Graham.

Brakes.....rear cyls can be changed without removing hubs, front is conventional requiring hub removal. Ideally you need a special Bedford hub nut tool. You ought to consult a manual for the correct procedure for the rear cyls.

Just found an old Bedford service bulletin detailing different stud sizes and gasket numbers, rather than confuse you, it would be best if you could identify the stud size by removing a head nut and also check to see if the rocker shaft is in three parts or one long shaft.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Farrant; 04-08-05 at 22:37.