View Single Post
Old 09-10-21, 17:21

Default 52-Set Drop Cords & Head Gear

Another production detail for the Wireless Set No. 52 appears to have revealed itself this past week.

Back in Post #199, when my Supply Unit for the 52-Set had arrived, I posted a photo of it that showed an odd red circle on the left hand Drop Cord rubber Y-Socket. The circle had a blurry red bar across it. No markings at all survived on the right hand Drop Cord, which was in rough shape. Looking at working photos of the 52-Set since then, both wartime and postwar, I have noticed there is nearly always just one Headgear Assembly Type 10 ever connected to the 52-Set and it is always on the right hand Drop Cord. The left hand Drop Cord only ever seemed to get used to connect a short Jumper Cable to a Wireless Remote Control Unit No. 1 Cdn, typically situated to the left side of the set, somewhere. So, the left hand Drop Cord seems to get very little use over time.

Later in Post #213, I added a photo from the Operator’s Manual showing the factory look of the Supply Unit, in which you can see both Drop Cords have this circular marking, though still not readable.

While trying to keep busy with something related to the 52-Set Project this last week, I decided to take a closer look at my two Head Gear Assemblies Type 10 and related bits I had accumulated. The two assemblies are in good shape, but have the usual NATO Green Goop slathered all over the metal Mic Cases. Then I remembered I had found some NOS No. 2 Brown Mic Cases and cordage and dug them out. Glad I did!

In the attached photo, you can see the backs of both Mic Cases sport a yellow Circle with R.C.A. across the middle of them. The rubber Y-Plug on the cord has a silver circle on it with R.C.A. across it. So it looks like R.C.A. was supplying the Drop Cords and Head Gear Assemblies to Canadian Marconi Company for production of the 52-Set.

Not totally surprising considering the two companies were already partners in the shared ownership of the Radiotron Tube Company, but it is another detail I will have to try and preserve while restoring this set.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Headgear Canadian Type 10 A.JPG