View Single Post
Old 07-10-21, 02:03
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I was just going through some old notes on this part and rediscovered an oddity.

Every so often, one sees one of these HOLDERS with a thin disc of grey felt, or perhaps cork, placed at the back of it, over the three mounting screws.

Were these thin pads an actual production/supply item, or were these just ‘local level fabrications’, to reduce rattle of the pocket watch in the HOLDERS?

David
I think there had to be a felt or cork backing. Otherwise the watch flops about in the case no doubt straining and ultimately chipping the socket at the top. My question is whether the watch was removed to wind it...which would be a very often occurrence. If so the fragile threads on the case would no doubt cause trouble very quickly (and it's not an easy item to remove and replace). On the other hand it is very difficult to pull up the knob and wind the watch while in its case. The 52 set probably would not be that bad but the watch and winder (not to mention the case itself) is not very accessible on Mk.II 19 sets.