View Single Post
Old 14-09-21, 19:10

This Project is at a very interesting point right now in that the pieces I have been working on for the last three years are finally interacting with each other to some degree. Kind of like when pieces of a vehicle start coming back together in a meaningful way. The timing for this is very good since I have to step away from the Receivers and Sender for a couple of weeks and I can take the time to review the work done to date to identify details I have missed, or not fully recognized the importance of, in my restoration work to date. For example, the noisy tuning coils in the Sender. I have now discovered these since the Receiver can once more interact with it as it as it was intended.

In addition to the three Aerial Loading Coils located in the Sender, there is also the much larger Coil, Aerial Tuning No, 2A that sits on top of the Carriers No. 4. The latter item is noisy throughout its tuning range, which is not the least bit surprising, since I have done no internal cleaning of that assembly at all so far, It will eventually be carefully disassembled, however, in order to restore the paintwork inside and outside of the wooden case, to return it to original Marconi Semi Flat Olive Green. At that time the Coil Assembly and its related WHEELS, “V” Contacts, will be fully cleaned.

As for the coils in the Sender, I did clean all of them of the sooty residue covering them, but did not pay as much attention as I should have to their related WHEELS, “V” Contacts. The result is intermittent scratchy spots on them as they tune throughout their ranges. The same effect as you hear on an old radio or television volume control that needs cleaning. What I think I will do in the interim is set the two sets of coils back to their start points of ‘0000’ on their Counters and then run them both full range, recording the Counter Values at every noisy section. Then, once I can get back to working on the Sender again, I will be able to find each spot on the coils that needs attention, as well as giving the WHEELS “V” a good cleaning.

The other thing I will be focusing on for a while will be a careful study of the actual Operating Procedures for the 52-Set. I need to be far more comfortable with the process than I currently am, and that only comes with reading, learning and practise. The Working Instructions Manual has good information for this but it does tend to be spread out through the manual a bit, which makes the flow of the information a bit choppy. On the bright side however, I discovered that some time ago, I had obtained a copy of the TELECOMMUNICATIONS FZ 523 1st Echelon Work for the Wireless Set No. 52 Canadian. Issue 1 dated February 1945.

This is an excellent training source, covering all the operating steps in a very nicely arranged sequence. It also has a wealth of useful Operators Reference material, troubleshooting information and Maintenance Data. One thing I did notice is you have to pay attention to what piece of the 52-Set they are discussing when it comes to working with the Meter, which is mounted in the Receiver, but services the Sender as well.

On the Receiver, the switch for the Meter is called the ‘METER SW.’, but on the Sender the switch is identified as ‘METER SWITCH’. In order to activate the METER SWITCH on the Sender, the METER SW on the Receiver has to be turned to ‘SENDER’.

See what I mean?

David
Attached Thumbnails
FZ 523 WS No. 52 1st Eschelon Work.JPG   METER SW  52-Set Receiver.JPG   METER SWITCH 52-Set Sender.JPG  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 19-09-21 at 17:35.