View Single Post
Old 29-01-22, 15:08

Default Ford parts on a Chevy?

Hi Robert

When I started getting my HUP on the road, many many moons ago (1979) the brakes drove me crazy. This was before I knew that other crazy people restored these things. I could find the rear brake parts in the Chevy civilian parts books but not the front.

It wasn't until I started cleaning the grease of the front brake shoes that I found the had either the little Ford script F stamped on the shoes and other parts.

That's about the time I started writing letters (yes actual letters on paper) to CMP owners in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. One of these was to Bart Vanderveen who explained that crossing parts particular between Ford and Chevy was part their cooperation to produce the greatest number of trucks. Ford had more capability to produce brake units and once you start down that road why have Chevy start making copies. This also kept parts replacement easier. I believe that Chevy axle assemblies were used on Fords.

As mentioned if you go through CMP Parts book you will find various part numbers both Ford and Chevy listed in the others parts book.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com