View Single Post
Old 08-10-04, 16:37
former Resident Historian

Default MCC

My Census List shows various Morris Commercial Cars Contracts that might relate: 'Carrier Predictor AA no 3 SPM' to V3957 that included 'Carrier 40 mm SPM', plus V672 'Carrier AA Pred 40 mm Mk III', and V4497, 'Carrier Predictor AA no 3 SPM' and 'Carrier Predictor 40 mm SPM'. All had 'S' prefixes. Note that these were deemed self-propelled units by late 1944 though they could have had 'H' prefixes previously as tractors [as per F60B] with suitable trailers. Does anyone know if this surmise is correct please? As Stelland commented with justification I think:

Quote:
So I think that when there were enough trucks available the Predictors were put on a truck platform ready for use instead of beeing transported in crates on a trailer.
Note the C8/P has a very similar chassis to the 'normal' and Airportable 17-pounder Anti-tank Mk 111 truck. Were there surplus MCC Predictors by the end of 1943, hence C8/P trucks were able to be converted by MCC in Birmingham to A/T Mk 111 as well as the C8/MG Portees and some FAT Mk III. Stelland's suggestion that the conversion of Bofors trucks to self-propelled independent units, with Predictors placed on spare trucks makes sense...timing is right for both MCC and Ford 'conversions' and also the making surplus of C/8P trucks for their new role.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 08-10-04 at 16:48.