View Single Post
Old 20-08-19, 20:51

Default Grandpa's M3 Scout Car photo - Need Help!

Hey all,

A quick question! I'm looking for some information on my grandfathers service in the second world war. I recently visited my aunt and found a photo of grandpa standing next to what looks like an M3 White scout car. I'm curious about which units used these vehicles. The photo looks like its in cold weather, so probably the winter of 44. He is the crouching soldier on the right.

What we do know:

He was certainly in the RCA and his rank was Gunner. He fought in NWE - France and Holland. He enlisted with the 8th medium battery in 1940 in Prince Edward Island. My dad seems to remember him telling stories of going forward to "spot Germans" and direct artillery fire. My dad also recalls that he drove/crewed a Universal Carrier. He landed in Normandy a few days/weeks after D-Day.

My Uncle also says he THINKS he recalls my grandpa talking about being accidentally bombed by the US in Normandy - I believe this is quite a well known event and perhaps could help guide me to his unit.

I sent the application for his service records today, so should be expecting them in about 8 months time. But, I figured I would ask here to learn about which units used the M3 and to see if anyone had insight on the photo.

Cheers, and thank you!

Quinn

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grandpa M3 Scout Car.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	108693