View Single Post
Old 16-09-19, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
I have been asked by the folks in Quebec who are dealing with the SAAQ, to inquire about Military Vehicle inspection criteria across Canada in the various provinces/territories:

Are there any specific pieces of legislation or inspection criteria that apply to Military Vehcles and to Historic Military Vehicles?

The SAAQ has claimed that other provinces (the exact provinces not stated) have specific inspection criteria for Military vehicles.

FACT or Fiction:

Is this fact/ fiction and links to various legislation and criteria.

When military vehicles are registered as on road for regular use, is there a difference in the annual inspection critaria? For example, a large truck in Ontario requires an annual safety, whereas if registered as a Historic Vehicle, this annual inspection requirement is dropped.

Your thoughts?

Stuart
Alberta freedom.

Sovereign General insured my first MV, the 1986 Chev 3/4 ton M1010 for commercial use. The inspection ensured all components were working. Lights, horn, e-brake etc. They check for leaks, sweat on brake lines, loose components 'still within safety tolerances', tire tread, windshield washer etc.

No further inspections were required from 2010 to 2017ish when I sold it.

Quebec could easily look up the various levels of mechanical inspection forms throughout the provinces. We could even get them a contact with the Judges Advocate Group and the Privy Council if they need legal advice. Here's a B.C. form that was super easy to find.
https://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicl...PDF/MV3199.pdf

If SAAQ's 'objective' is enabling citizens to operate historical vehicles on public roads safely, historical vehicle collectors should help design the enabling objectives.

I had the easiest process with the 6x6 and as a responsible Canadian citizen, I'm almost certain this is the way it should go.
When I re-built the 1956 M135 we photo documented the process. I sent the pictures to Thomas Schindler Green insurance broker ...now intact insurance.....and they sent me pink cards. "NO INSPECTION REQUIRED".

Say what? Insured without an inspection? The insurance company weighs their risk....adds an ethical/ moral/ historical vehicle file....and 'enabled' this collector to get history on public streets. That was 2012 to 2017.

If Quebec is asking for a design to the new policies, take the word "military" out of any definition and add the word "automobile" or "vehicle".

Catastrophic components from tires to brakes and steering can be inspected after replacement on a historical vehicle but SAAQ can never remove all liability by an inspection process. They will always be jointly liable for putting any vehicle on the road. They just need to get on with it. Inspecting vehicles to make them eligible for insurance doesn't stop a new Toyota throttle from sticking or a Ford truck from burning up and it didn't stop Pintos from exploding.

The bus, suburban and even the Volks Wagon could be considered a military vehicle. The 2 ton international in the 50's and these days, Toyota Tercel can be seen on military bases with military plates.

The bus inspection went the same as all the others. Does the horn work? Yes.
Go drive it, have fun. Call home if you're going to be late.

Alberta Inspection info
https://ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/art...pection-centre
https://ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/art...pection-centre

Credit to our Canadian Civil Defence Museum and Archive for the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
airsiren1010edmcdbunker.jpg   chevburb.jpg   m135.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Dave D.; 16-09-19 at 05:11.