View Single Post
Old 14-09-19, 03:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Duggan View Post
Guys,

I'm starting to learn the finer details of the English term "fettling". I took the Lynx out for a spin before heading off to the Gatineau Air Show, when I found out that I could no longer engage fourth gear. After several attempts and severe grinding I trundled home in third.

I then attempted to adjust the clutch linkage with no success, I then talked over the problem with Robin Craig, who was able to persuade Gerry Foster to travel from Gananoque to try and resolve the issue.

In short order Gerry was able to determine that the issue was not with the clutch, but the shifter linkage, and zeroed in on the base of the shifter column which was corroded and sloppy. Partially rebuilt by myself.

The shifter column is now out and off for a proper rebuild.

Don't know where I would be without friends and MLU.

Peter

Attachment 108994 Attachment 108995 Attachment 108996
It was a pleasure to journey up and work on such a neat piece of history with yourself and Robin. It brings me great joy to be able to "repair" something these days. We live in such a throw away generation and as an automotive mechanic, things just are not made to be fixed anymore! To be able to re-machine parts in a mill that were once made by skilled craftsman completely by hand, designed on paper with a pencil.....this really is the reason I get involved in these type of projects! And for owners like Peter, who have a passion for their vehicles and a desire the return them to the way they were in service. Many days are spent diagnosing modern electronics and engineering/design flaws today, we as an industry have lost our way IMO. Simplicity, functionality and serviceability from this era of the Lynx and other MV's. 40 years from now, no one will be repairing the shifter in a Honda accord or Kia SUV......