View Single Post
Old 29-02-08, 17:28
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Oh christ, what rock did you crawl out from underneath?? I thought I fixed it that you couldn't see us from there...

BTW, the only plunger you lads ever picked up was the one you needed to unclog the loo from your.... oh, never mind.
Why Jif...
I didn't know you cared..
Yes..I'm back from the sunny south..
68-85 F the whole 10 days I was in Georgia...Why it is 20 below zero here this morning has to be Jif's doing..I didn't cause it..it was here when I got back...
I was having MLU attacks..
I went daily to the public library for internet access..I chose not to take one of the two lap tops my daughter offered..but soon found out that the library did not allow access to MLU because...

Forbidden, this page is categorized as Forum/Bulletin Boards.
Forbidden, this page is categorized as Weapons. ..

So I complained but couldn't sway them.
anyway...here is a true "Engineering tale"..
Back in '75 when we closed Moosonee Radar base,I was a newly appointed warrant officer of the Refrigeration mechanical section ,responsible for the care and maintenance of the long range radar mechanical systems..
The last day was March 31/'75...
It was the Canadian crews responsibility to disassemble and lower all the radar antennae and arrays and lower them to the grown where the US Air Force crew packaged the equipment into special crates for shipping...
This process took about a week and the removal of the radomes and packing and shipping and clean up took the better part of a month..
With the Messes bouncing every night and the consumption of spirits in all forms at an all time record high,which is saying something for an isolated Radar base,one incidence certainly stood out above all others to impress our American colleagues..
My very good buddy ,and "winger" was a plumber ,about my age and a Sgt at the time..
He was a huge guy about 6'3'' and 250 pounds and all muscle,not unkindly to say ,some may have been between his ears,at times ,especially when soaked in the demon rum...which we(He) consumed with great abandon..anyway it was a cold and stormy night and we were well on our way when our plumbing buddy got called out to a plugged toilet ..from the mess where we were having fun with the US guys ..and trying to trade gear like their parkas,which by April most of us were out of but this crew was from Alabama and April in Moosonee is not like it is in Alabama and they wore their parkas even in the heat ot the day which was probably 15-17C...a shirt sleeve day for us..
Anyway about an hour later our buddy comes back to the mess ,having completed his duty of unplugging his toilet and still wearing his coveralls with his little short plunger stuck in his leg pocket ,much like a gun slinger would wear his six gun,our hero strides up to the bar and we don't pay too much attention until we hear a hugh crash!!!!..WE ALL TURN TO LOOK AND HERE IS OUR HERO ,HAVING DRAWN HIS TRUSTY PLUNGER, BROUGHT THE BUTT END DOWN WITH FORCE ON THE BAR ,getting the bar tenders and every one elses undivided attention..
"FILL'ER UP WITH RUM!!!!"..says he as he indicated the upturned cup of his trusty plunger..
which the bartender did and our buddy took a big swig and came over to where where we were were sitting ...He began to offer a drink to all of us from his loving cup ,and we Canadians ,having seen this performance from our hero before would pass with..."I don't drink rum at the best of times..or some such nonsense..but our US friends were aghast and some physically sick at the sight ..and the idea of being offered to drink from a plunger..??
Our friend thought nothing of it..and is still alive as far as I know..
As for our American friends..I'm sure some of those young lads don't drink to this day..and quite sure that we Canadians are all insane and live in the bush..
And drink rum out of plungers...well some of us do...
What's strange about that..??