View Single Post
Old 16-04-21, 22:41

Default Grrrr ... one step forward, two back ...

Spent some time over the last day or so chasing down my charging or rather lack of, issues. Turns out the generator was producing nothing, ... zilch, ... zip. And that from an expensive, supposedly fully rebuilt generator.

Took it to the auto elec wizard to be told the field coils are cactus and it will need an expensive rebuild!! Now what could have caused that? The generator was wired into the circuit as per the wiring diagram from Vintage Wiring of Maine, but never worked, so it seems it was cactus from day one. My biggest concern is that I may have done something wrong and caused the problem, but I don't know what, and don't want to repeat the process.

Unfortunately, the company that did the original work went out of business/business changed hands, and the new owner understandably takes no responsibility, so just have to swallow hard and fork out yet another bunch of $$ for the same item. Should be back in a week, and I'll do a test before I re-install it, and check the wiring connections.

Oh well ...

Mike