View Single Post
Old 12-03-21, 19:27

This little Sub Project has come together rather well, so far.

With the measurements Bruce posted from his surviving Leads, Aerial 25-3/4 inch, I cut a matching length from the heat shrink tubing I had available that just slides over the 7mm HT cable used in the Leads.

With access to shops once again, I checked available yellow paints in the local Canadian Tire Store and lucked into one remaining can of Rust-Oleum ‘Painter’s Touch’, gloss enamel that was a good match to the yellow ID sleeves on my CPP-2 cables. This paint is Stock Number N1945830 and is called SUN YELLOW. All of the other yellows I looked at were too much to the orange part of the spectrum, or the cream section.

The next thing I had to do was paint the sleeve I had ready to go and set it aside to cure. In the meantime, I measured out the length of cable I would need to finish this Leads Assembly off at the Sender Pin Terminal end, hopefully maintaining the required 25-3/4 inch length between the end faces of the two Pin Terminal Sleeves. With the working length of cable ready to go, I could then slide the painted and cured ID Sleeve up the cable from the free end to within about an inch of the insulated Receiver Pin Terminal end. Hopefully it will end up located and looking somewhat like the Leads does in the manual when finally installed.

With the ID Sleeve in place near the Receiver end of the Leads, I was then able to install the Pin Terminal assembly over the Sender end of the Leads. The Pin Terminal Sleeve at this end needed to be carefully crazy glued in place on the cable to prevent it from possibly twisting about and perhaps eventually cracking the inner copper wire core of the HT cable. So it was glue on and the copper core wire pulled 90 degrees over the end of the pin to snug it all down. The cable was then set aside 24 hours for the glue to fully cure.

This morning, I did the soldering at the Sender Pin Terminal end of the Leads and cleaned up and excess solder. Final measurement of this Leads ended up at just a stink over 25- 11/16 inches. I can live with that.

I have found just one black Letterset font in my stash that might work for the printing on the ID Sleeve. I will have to do some comparisons this weekend between the outer circumference of the sleeve I have used and the height of the font and see if I can get the required number of lines to fit in.

David
Attached Thumbnails
LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 29.JPG   LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 30.JPG   LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 31.JPG   LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 32.JPG   LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 33.JPG