View Single Post
Old 11-03-21, 01:45

Thinking about the ID Sleeve today, and the possible options for this Leads Assembly, my first decision was the easy one: going with the actual length of the sleeve from Bruce Parkers surviving example.

Another consideration was the markings on the sleeve. Bruce’s example confirmed them as well, right down to the size and font. My thought process for the markings had leaned towards pre-printed ‘Letterset’ style. 30 or 40 years ago, the odds of actually finding a matching font would have been excellent. Off the shelf today, not so much. I do have a few sets tucked away somewhere and will have to see if one is sized appropriately to work. That the font will not be a match to the original is fine with me. I am more concerned about fabricating a perfect working cable as close to specs as possible, without wanting to make it a perfect fake. 75 years from now, if this 52-Set is still around and in one piece, it will be nice to know that close inspection will reveal the replications and the care taken to make them.

I have now also decided to make this ID Sleeve yellow in colour. I agree with Bruce’s comments that his original very likely was yellow when made but age has not been kind to it. And that makes sense. Wartime was full of unexpected supply shortages, everywhere. It would not surprise me in the least that multiple manufacturers were involved in making these sleeves and they could have had to switch formulas for their production to maintain delivery obligations, Changes to formulas may not have altered the look of a product initially, but could very likely have impacted expected ‘life in use’ of the item.

So, next step is to find a suitable yellow colour paint for this ID Sleeve and see what happens.

Thanks yet again, Bruce.

David