View Single Post
Old 07-03-21, 22:57

Default LEADS, Aerial 25-3/4 inch Sub-Project

As mentioned in Post #543, there are three main parts to this Sub-Project. The first part, now completed, was to fabricate the Receiver end of the LEADS, as it was the most complex.

The second part will be to add an Identification Sleeve to the LEADS.

From what I have seen from available photographs, this sleeve is between one and two inches in length (closer to the two end) and in most instances is yellow in colour with black lettering. A few photos suggest there might also be a version out there with a brown resin impregnated sleeve. The yellow one, I think, is early production as the illustrations in the manuals show it with “ No. C7” just legible. The 1948 Update to the Master Parts List shows this illustration but notes the wording on it is early production and should be ignored.

The challenge I have encountered with this ID Sleeve is getting the right size of sleeve in yellow. A 9/32-inch Inside Diameter just slides nicely over the 7mm HT cable for the LEADS. I have been able to source thin wall heat shrink tubing locally in that size, but only in black. I like the idea of the thin wall heat shrink since the actual location of this sleeve in photographs varies from right up against the Receiver Pin Terminal on the LEADS to nearly at the right side partition wall on the Carriers No. 4, between the Receiver and Supply Unit. It is possible it was a lose sleeve in the first place based on the photos, so I would not have to heat it in place. This offers a second bonus. Thin wall heat shrink tubing tends to be much more flexible in its unheated state than post heating, so it would have added flexibility for the large curve the LEADS makes from the Receiver AE Terminal around to the first hole it encounters in the Receiver/ Supply Unit partition on the Carriers No. 4.

So the game plan for the sleeve is to find an appropriate shade of yellow spray paint, cut an appropriate length of black 9/32-inch ID heat shrink tubing and paint it. Once cured, it will slide easily enough onto the open end of the 7mm cable I am working with and I can move it up to the Finished Receiver Pin Terminal end. I can then take my time looking for appropriate black lettering to add to the ID Sleeve,

Once the ID Sleeve is finished and on the cable, I can measure out the correct length of cable to finish this Sub-Project and add the Sender Pin Terminal Assembly to it. The 9/32-inch ID of the heat shrink is too narrow to fit over the 8mm OD Pin Terminal Sleeve, so the heat shrink tube has to be slide in place before the cable can be fully completed at both ends.

I will keep you posted.

David