View Single Post
Old 07-03-21, 21:15

Default LEADS, Aerial 25-3/4 inch Sub-Project

I was able to move forward on both the Reno and this sub-project today.

The sub-project was broken down into three steps, the first step was the one completed today, and for a variety of reasons it was the most important as it put a number of assembly theories for this LEADS to the test. All have passed so far.

The first thing was to measure off 1-1/2 inches back from one end of my piece of 7mm rubber sheathed, braided copper core HT Cable, and tape that point off. This is the start of the process to get that measured length of the central copper core exposed to pass through the tip assembly of the LEADS.

Once measured off, I used a thin. Blade cutter to slice through the outer rubber sheath of the cable at the edge of the tape. I then made a longitudinal cut from the circumference cut at the tape to the end of the cable and peeled off the rubber sheath to expose the inner insulation.

I was lucky the inner insulation was a soft clear plastic product that when cut into carefully, the insulation could be carefully bent at the cut and it would slowly split by itself to the inner copper core. I removed the insulation in two sections as shown to make it easier to slide the insulation off the copper core. As I removed the second section of insulation, I slowly twisted the insulation in the direction of the stranding on the copper core to tighten up the core wires as much as possible. I wanted to do this so it would all easily clear the pin assembly as it passed through it.

The next step was to insert this end of the cable all the way into the pin terminal I had fabricated.

David
Attached Thumbnails
LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 21.JPG   LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 22.JPG   LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Projecr 23.JPG   LEADS, Aerial 25-3:4 inch Project 24.JPG