View Single Post
Old 06-03-08, 03:38
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post

The attached photo is of one of the unexpected jobs.............a 1938 pile driving winch, powered by a Lister 9 hp single cylinder petrol engine. It arrived as a rusty, decrepid lump of iron and I transformed it to a working machine, although it was actually destined for the Military Engineering school as an exhibit.
30 years ago a good friend of mine was a pioneer in fish farming on the West Coast of Canada. Robert Smeal lived on a remote island in Desolation Sound about a two hour boat ride from Lund, B.C. and of course, his only source of electric power was a 2 cylinder, hand cranked Lister diesel. It was dependable, thrifty and low maintenance. He was working on building an actual mini Hydro-electric power station on the island. Robert had already started building a dam and had a Pelton wheel to turn the dynamo. I only visited him twice up at his little cabin on the island, mainly for the incredible scuba diving and the miles and miles of Oyster encrusted rocks in the sound. I bet that little Lister is still thumping away to this day. Derek.