View Single Post
Old 05-06-08, 14:28
former Resident Historian

Default Re-pub

Shame that Chris. However, I have heard much the same about re-pubs/re-prints before. It's a shame, but there you are. The photos are all out of copyright, being pre-1949 of course. A large proprtion would appear (from the book acknowledgements) were leant to Dr Gregg. The ones of most interest to me were lent by the late Sid Swallow who was the Service Manager at Fords in Windsor at the time.

Sid also supplied the late Herb Ronson who was also with Fords then, and Herb lent me negative copies of photos that Sid had sent him. These relate to the Southampton CMD, and additionally I have some other shots taken at the same time that were retained by GM Ltd and show alternative views. I have built up quite a collection of the CMD from various sources over the years: one photo turned up in the 1944 GM Overseas Operations wartime book! I also acquired three from Archives of Canada, including one of Mr Swallow in conference at the CMD! This suggested to me that these photos were widely spread around (the world). Dr Gregg clearly visited the Archives, judging by data that he published, and I wonder if he also used a few Archives photos as well? up to three CMD photos he published I have been able to get better copies direct from the Archives.

If there was a demand in due course, perhaps a new book could be written? A collaborative effort would be possible, but I have to say that at present the publishign industry here is reeling from a lack of sales (credit crunch and all that), and some houses are not taking on any new books as shops/dealers can't sell them and therefore pay for them!

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 05-06-08 at 14:35.