View Single Post
Old 26-04-04, 14:02
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: One more for the pot

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
And you can stop grinning McSpool, it applies to Edam & Gouda Land too.
And I was, I admit it. Funny to see how a colonial can wind up his master. Now I know why the colonial has to fill in all sorts of forms and answer many intrusive questions when he is entering the main island of the UK, while I as a EU resident can drive on waving my passport.

And yes indeed, it applies to the land of cheese and clogs too. That's why polls show the Dutch are even less fond of the EU than our British friends(!) Could that be because we are already stuck deeper in it than the people who (still...) have their own currency?

Like Pete said, we ventured into this subject after a few beers on a wet Beltring morning, and I agree wholeheartedly that the there was nothing wrong with the concept of the union. The initial idea was to bring the people of Europe closer together, and thus aid in preventing starting wars again. All participants of this forum have a grasp of how horrible war is, so I'd be surprised that anyone objects to this underlying idea. From experience I know that hardly anything beats mutual understanding than close collaboration.

Collaboration is greatly facilitated by a common market and I feel that is where the EU goes wrong today: instead of solely facilitating the collaboration among Europeans by bringing down the barriers, the EU tends to strive for centralised control by proclaiming all sorts of directives - a consitution even!
You know what? I'd vote for a constitution which has "thy shall not steal" as the first rule. Now, wouldn't that annihilate a large portion of the royal EU household?

H.