View Single Post
Old 16-05-05, 05:28

Default Many Thanks

The veterans in Goderich were well served this past saturday by all the people who brought their military vehicle for them to ride in. Friday afternoon brought rain and heavy fog along lake Huron saturday morning. Barry Layon called me from Georgetown for a weather check saturday morning and STILL set out driving an open APT with Chris Vickery in a M38a1 they had a 3+ hour drive each way . Everyone who said they would come was there !
There was problems with equipment before and after the parade but everything went off flawlessly when it counted. Stewarts referance to when it realy got rainy reveals the real metal of the carrier guys. They had a balky carrier that had to be towed back to the assembly area in the rain. The good humour and attitude during the whole episode was as if the sun was shineing.
I had the opportunity to see the three carriers with the veterans on board and they had a fantastic time riding in them. Jim Rutlidge had an idea to throw a party like no one in this area had ever seen before for the veterans and they came from as far west as Manitoba. This event relied on a lot of help from a lot of people but the day could not have happened with as much success without the people who provided 21 vehicles and the Bofors gun. The organizing committee's would like to thank you all for coming and helping create this spectical for the veterans and those people who lined the streets.
I'm sure that pictures of the day will be made available and posted. I can hardly wait for someone to show me a tape of the parade because some of us got distracted doing other things.