View Single Post
Old 23-03-14, 06:00

Regards the hull number 4225, and the published images showing what some suggest is the highest production number of 3255: does anyone know if the number 3255 shown in the Milestone image is a production number, not related to a hull or serial number?

Where did the serial numbers start, i.e.: 1000? Are there any existing original, unaltered data plates that display a hull number, serial number and engine number with a month and year of production? Could a hull have a number 4225, but was actually produced as the 3225th vehicle off the line?

I ask, as about the same time the last of the Ford Canada built MK-II* Universal Carriers were in production. Although the Milestone image of the last Universal Carrier is displayed as being in the 28,9XX range, there are multiple examples of original data plates of Ford Canada MK-II* Universal Carriers for a British contract with serial numbers well above the Milestone 28,9XX 'last U.C.' produced number.

Do not confuse Ford Canada Universal Carrier production with Ford Canada Windsor Carriers, the latter being produced through April, 1945.

IIRC, years earlier an MLU contributor wrote that T-16 U.C.'s started their serial numbers at 1,000. Was that Rod S. in AZ? Could the same practice have existed for the Lynx? We know it did not for the Ford Canada Universal Carriers MK-I*.