View Single Post
Old 18-02-05, 21:43
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Wow.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Regards the Monument to honour Viet Nam Vets who dodged to (Nelson BC area) ...

Karmen
I was reading through some archived newsstories from Nelson BC area and found this little story thats an offshoot of the (QUASHED!!!) "attempt" to put up a monument in Nelson to honour ( ) Draft Dodgers ..... heres the interesting little story ... and I say ... bravo to the Vets in Nelson who plan their own ceremony during that same time!!! YES !

Quote:
B.C. group scraps draft-dodger statue
TMTV NEWS for CBC TV, GLOBAL TV, CTV ----NELSON, B.C. Oct 4 - Faced with widespread opposition, a British Columbia group has backed off its plan for a monument to honour Vietnam draft dodgers.

Instead, the Our Way Home committee is now planning a different statue in honour of "peace and refuge."

Spokesperson Isaac Romano says the original idea was very divisive, garnering an angry response from many Americans, including veterans groups.

He's optimistic the new proposal will receive more support.

"Even that early monument was just a rough, rough draft. So what we eventually come out with is maybe very, very different. It may be totally different.

"And as I mentioned, we're looking at broadening it to include it being a peace and refuge monument for all groups that have come to Canada and sought assistance," he says.

Last week, Nelson city council rejected the draft-dodger proposal because it didn't have widespread support.

Romano says communities outside Nelson, which he declines to identify, have expressed interest in providing a location for the peace monument.

His group is also planning a reunion weekend for war resisters in July 2006.

Meanwhile, a veterans group is planning its own event in Nelson for the same weekend in July 2006, in competition with the draft-dodgers reunion.

The group, Vietnam Veterans in Canada, says it is a "warrior society" and is opposed to the event honouring draft dodgers.