View Single Post
Old 13-09-16, 03:23

Default WW2 Aust publications - 'As You Were', 'Stand Easy', etc

I have been recently going through my Father's (Darwin Mobile Force and 2/12 Fd Amb - Tarakan) collection of these excellent books (spanning from 1943 to 1947), and note there are many action shots of vehicles, guns, diggers, ships, etc.

The books (at least the Army-related) were "Published for The Australian Military Forces by Australian War Memorial, Canberra, ACT, 194n."

There are also wonderful personal stories, cartoons, sketches, battle maps, etc. showing the Aussie digger at war.

Has there ever been an attempt to digitise these publications?

I'm sure many Australian families have these books, but as time passes their relevance may be lost to future generations.

Other than being of general interest to families, would these publications have given serving soldiers at the time in a particular theatre-of-war a first-hand understanding and appreciation of their comrades-in-arms (men and women in the Army, Navy(RAN) and Air Force (RAAF)) in other TOW's?

Were these publications unique to Australia, or did other countries produce similar publications for their troops?.

Lest We Forget (in every sense of the phrase)

Bruce Gilbert
NSW, aust.